The Category is Excellence! At the 73rd annual Emmy Awards, Hollywood actors, directors and Hollywood’s elite came together to celebrate and honor fellow artists and creators. Nominee and “Pose” star MJ Rodriguez made history as the first transgender to be nominated in the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama series.
For this historical moment, she tapped celebrity hairstylist Tym Wallace to create her look.
Tym Wallace went for Mermaid Glam for Emmy nominee MJ Rodriguez’s hair. For her look, he was inspired by the ocean and wanted to have flowing tresses to complement her teal Versace gown.
Here is the step by step to recreate the look:
- You can’t go wrong with a center part! Effortless, simple and chic.
- On cleansed and conditioned hair, Tym Wallace began with applying a small amount of heat protectant before blow-drying MJ Rodriguez’s hair.
- He then added wavy extensions from fellow hairstylist Kim Kimble’s hair extension line to add volume and length to hair.
- To create the mermaid look, he used 2 flatirons and a wave iron to create dimension. Make sure to use a heat protectant to keep your hair healthy while using heat.
- Next, he separated the hair in different sections and alternated the tools throughout to create different textures.
- Tym Wallace finished with a hairspray and a Denman brush to smooth any flyaways.