The 2020 MTV “VMAs” announces the first performers for the annual show, which will air live, on Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 8PM ET/PT.
- BTS: 3 nominations (Best Pop, Best K-Pop, Best Choreography)
- Doja Cat: 3 nominations (Song of the Year, PUSH Best New Artist, Best Direction)
- J Balvin: 4 nominations (Best Collaboration, Best Latin x3)
- This will be BTS’ first-ever VMA performance and the TV debut of their new, English-only single, “Dynamite,” which is set to be released on August 21, 2020.
ABOUT THE PERFORMERS:
- BTS, an acronym of Bangtan Sonyeondan or “Beyond the Scene”, is a South Korean boyband that has been capturing the hearts of millions of fans globally since their debut in June 2013. The members of BTS are RM, Jin, SUGA, j-hope, Jimin, V, and Jung Kook. Gaining recognition for their authentic and self-produced music, top-notch performances, and the way they interact with their fans, the band has established themselves as global superstars breaking countless world records. While imparting a positive influence through activities such as the LOVE MYSELF campaign and the UN ‘Speak Yourself’ speech, BTS has mobilized millions of fans across the world (named ARMY), topped prominent music charts, performed multiple sold-out stadium shows across the world and has been named as one of TIME 100: The Most Influential People of 2019. The band has also been recognized with numerous prestigious awards like the Billboard Music Awards and American Music Awards.
- Born and raised in L.A., Doja Cat made her first upload to Soundcloud in 2013 at just 16-years-old. By 2018 she had catapulted into the mainstream following her debut album Amala and the release of “Mooo!,” which was met with critical acclaim. She followed up with her sophomore album Hot Pink, which received rave reviews and continues to be her strongest work to date with nearly 2 billion streams and video views combined, proving she’s a mainstay artist with the release of tracks like “Tia Tamera” ft. Rico Nasty and breakout hit “Juicy” ft. Tyga. 2020 kicked off another amazing year for the hybrid artist with the success of her single “Say So” continuing to climb the charts. She delivered electrifying performances of the track on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, The Voice and The Late Late Show with James Corden. The track is RIAA certified platinum, reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, #1 at Top 40 radio for 5 consecutive weeks, reached #1 at Rhythm radio, has over 180 million video views, and over 20 million Tik Tok videos created. The track has been streamed nearly 1 billion times worldwide. The follow up “Like That” ft. Gucci Mane is currently climbing radio charts sitting inside the Top 20 at Top 40 radio and inside the Top 4 at Rhythm. Doja was also the first Vevo LIFT artist to be announced for 2020.
- “Reggaeton’s Global Ambassador” – 4-time LATIN GRAMMY winner J Balvinis now one of the top streaming music artists in the world, regardless of language, and has developed a legion of fans worldwide. Hailed by Billboard as “the biggest breakout act Latin music has seen in many years” and Pitchfork as “the face of modern Reggaeton,” Balvin is leading a second generation of Musica Urbana stars that have propelled Latin music to an unprecedented global embrace. His latest album, Colores, saw both critical acclaim and commercial success. With “Blanco,” “Morado” and “Rojo” going #1, J Balvin became the artist with the most #1 songs on the Latin Airplay charts in history, with 23 of his songs earning that spot over the course of his career. With his music and impact on the culture, Balvin has cemented himself as not only a leader of Reggaeton but as a torchbearer of the new state of Latin music by continuously expanding the limits of the genre and paving the way for “la nueva escuela.”